Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Water Issue and Kalabagh Dam

Today we have a Panel Discussion on water distribution between provinces. The panel consisted three eminent speakers who talked on various issues concerning water distribution. Water distribution remains one of the hotly debated issue amongst all the provinces and currently the Water Accord of 1991 is used for the equitable sharing of this vital resource. Notwithstanding, this accord, other problem existing is the scarcity of water and energy (hydel) due to shortage of dams and the ineffectiveness of older dams due to sediment. The issue now is the proposal to construct several dams over the Indus, including the controversial Kalabagh Dam. This construction has its roots long ago, in 1953 to be exact. However, after all these years, no consensus has been reached between provinces on this matter. To Pakistan this issue remains a vital factor, as in few years time if water situation does not significantly improve, the country is going into a crisis situation. This is going to be bad for the country and the people. As stressed by the chairman of the panel, doing nothing is not an option.
Today after lunch, I offered my Oman, Saudi and Turkmenistan colleagues the pineapple that I had brought from KL. I took the opportunity to show my skill (or the lack of it) in slicing and preparing the fruit. They seems to be impressed and enjoyed the pineapple very much (nasib baik rasa manis - thank you Giant Supermarket)
Since before my departure to KL my beloved Compaq Laptop has been slowed down to a crawl. I guess it has been infected with some FODs from those countless numbers of garbage mails that I have been receiving. Luckily my Paper has been wrapped up. Nevertheless, I brought it to the computer shop to be cleaned up. It is working wonders now, moving like a brand new ferrari. Now, outside it is raining. Sucks!! Looks like I got to stick to the gym and pound my body on the new treadmill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home