Sunday, January 15, 2006

Money,money,money

This is a story about Kadam Erfan (see my photo blog). The other day he came to my room and pulled out from his pocket a pile of notes. My eyes almost popped out as he plonked the pile on my table and gabble something in a mixture of urdu and little English. Most of the notes are in hundreds and thousands. Apparently one of his friend "found" the notes in one of the guest house in F7 where he is working. I inspected the pile and found out that it was made up of Nigerian Naira, Egyptian Pound, Chinese Yuan and Turkmenistan Manat. Hmm..found the notes eh, I thought. My mind began to wonder the unthinkable as we have amongst us colleagues from these countries. I tried to squeeze the truth out of him but with my limited urdu and his poor command of English , I failed. Nonetheless, he requested me to change the notes into Pakistani Rupee (to him besides Rupees, other notes are just pieces of paper). He seems to be eager to get the notes changed and I promised to assist. I hopped to the currency converter website and made the values in Rupees known to him. All that notes came to only about 200 Rupees (about RM 31). Gave him few Rupees extra for good measure. By chance I like to keep notes and I was still without some of these currencies. What caught my attention was the rates of Naira and Manat. One Rupee is equivalent to 2.2 Naira and equivalent to 87 Manat. 2000 Manat got him only 23 Rupees. I can see his disappointment.

Today's Log - Missed jogging today as the weather was dreadful. It was wet and cold. Went to Azman and Kathy's for lunch. Chance to meet a few Malaysian Mindef Officers on their way back to KL after their tour in quake area. Again campus was hit by power failure in the evening. Hopped across with Al-Manah to Kabul for some snacks. Again met a few Malaysian from Perlis who were here for volunteer works (Northern Volunteer).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home